It’s sabbatical time!!
We took off yesterday (Tuesday) at 8am and arrived in Kansas City at 8:15pm (central time). So far the car ride has been great! Jonah has mostly entertained himself (with a lot of help from Mr. IPAD). Best purchase we made for this trip so far! :) Dave drove the whole way – he’s such a trooper. I got to read for hours and hours!! I’ve been working on the Sarah Prine novels and just finished book 2. It feels like the best vacation ever and we’re only on day 2!
We stopped and visited Liberty Jail last night. Two things impressed me.
1) As I read two letters written by Joseph Smith and Hyrum Smith respectively, I was touched at the emotion in the letters as each wrote to their beloved. There was such a sadness and insecurity about their relationship. Joseph wrote, “My dear Emma, do you think that my being cast into prison by the mob renders me less worthy of your friendship?”. Then Hyrum wrote to Mary, “I do not wish to sorrow your feelings if they are innocent but I thought it strange that you did not send one word to me when I thought you knew that I was so anxious to hear from you.” Talk about heart breaking!! I can’t even imagine all that those men went through while imprisoned there – on false charges nonetheless! CRAZY :/
2) I was touched while I was listening to the recorded presentation in the jail of someone reading in D&C 121 vs. 45 where God teaches Joseph a very cool pattern.
a. Let thy bowels also be full of mercy to all men
b. Let virtue garnish your thoughts unceasingly
c. THEN shall thy confidence wax strong in the presence of God
d.The holy ghost shall be thy constant companion.
I find it so amazing that he was taught this pattern in Liberty Jail as he was being prepared to hear the voice of the Lord give him more revelation. In the midst of being so low emotionally, hungry, tired (they slept on a stone floor), cold, sick, God wanted Joseph to understand a pattern that would help him feel joy and have peace in his soul. I know that this pattern works. When I have used this pattern and put others first in my thoughts and actions, when I try my best to be virtuous in thought and action then I want to pray to God, I want to be in the temple, I want to do those things so that I can feel close to God! And, I feel the Holy Ghost with me as a constant companion when I’m in that frame of mind. I did feel that Liberty Jail was a holy place, a place where a prophet of God received revelation. It was so awesome to share that with Jonah! As he is preparing to get baptized this year I love taking opportunities to teach him about truth, testimony and God! It was a great ending to our first day on the road!
We were able to visit Independence, MO and also Far West as we have been following the journey of our predecessors. We drove by the Independence Temple (in construction), the temple cornerstones laid on the temple lot in Independence and the temple cornerstones laid in Far West. And we are now headed for Nauvoo, where we will get to see and worship in the temple there. I am impressed with how many times temples were started or announced during Joseph’s day. It was such a huge part of Joseph’s work…to prepare the world and us for temples! It continues to be!
No comments:
Post a Comment